Sunday, December 16, 2007

first BIG snow....

Last night it started snowing around 10pm and has only slowed down a little during the day today. It hasn't stopped yet. It is all fluffy snow, so it's very pretty to look at... but driving in it is a different story.
This morning I had to dig my truck, DEX out from under about 10 inches of snow. Then I let her warm up sufficiently then took of on my adventure of getting to work. I was supposed to be there at 9:15. usually that means leaving the apartment at about 9:00, letting the truck run for about 5 minutes then
a ten minute drive in Sunday traffic (none.) Today, I left the apartment at about 5 to 9, dug the truck out of the snow while it was running to warm it up. Then slowly driving out of the lot, onto a side street to the main street. The parking lot at the apartment complex was slowly getting plowed while the side street didn't look like it had seen a blade yet! The main road had seen a plow, but didn't get nearly the attention it needed, so it ended up taking me about 20 minutes to get to work. No stopping, just rolling stops because I didn't want to get stuck because I let the wheels stop turning.
Then when I got to work, the plow hadn't been there yet, either. I parked in my usual corner and just backed it up until I hit the snowbank, then a quick roll forward and it was parked and I ran into the store because I was late. My manager had shoveled and salted the sidewalks
when she got there at 8:30, so they were still clear.
The plow didn't get to the store for a few more hours. After he had cleared one side of the lot, the employees moved our cars and the fleet truck so he could plow the rest.
A couple of people didn't show up today, so I got asked to stay late. I agreed because I need the hours. I got one of the new planograms done. The packet called for it to take 4 hours to do and I had it done in about 3! But I wanted to get it absolutely finished so I ended up staying a little later than expected but it looks great.
Then when I got home, one of my neighbors was having trouble getting out of their parking spot so I tried to help them out. After a little bit some other guy came up and offered help. He just dropped the car into 1st gear and rocked it right out. I didn't even think to put it into a lower gear with it being an automatic, but now I'll remember to use that trick if I ever need it.
I saw a couple of spinouts and stuck vehicles today, but no accidents, so I am glad about that.

No comments: