Monday, November 29, 2010

Don't leave me alone with a coffee maker...


So tonight has been my first night on my own at work. It has been rather uneventful on the work front. I have released one aircraft so far. I have also had to call a pilot to ask about when I set up his Customs for a scheduled run... Overall, not anything exciting.

But in the world of things that happen at the office that could be messed up anywhere... Well, put it this way: I should not be allowed to go near a coffee pot. It doesn't matter how good the intentions are, I need to keep away.

Tonight, I decided that I would make a pot of coffee for the Hot Standby guys. They have to come in just in case the airplane on a scheduled run breaks. That way we have a recovery team waiting in case they are needed. Thank goodness they are not usually needed.

So I went to make the coffee... In my mind, you put coffee and a filter in the basket above the pot, then you add water, put the pot in place and press "Brew." It would seem that this is not the case. I poured the water in and within seconds, the "Ready to Brew" light came on. I took this as a good sign. That is, until rather warm water came running out. There was no pot, no basket, no nothing waiting for the liquid so it went all over.

I spent way too much time and way too many paper towels cleaning this up. (We have cheapie paper towels... they don't do much.) Anyhow, I made a mess, and I've learned from this. Don't go anywhere near a coffee maker!

No comments: