Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Etiquette, people!

I cannot abide rude people! It is often something as simple as "please" and "thank you" that makes any personal encounter pleasant. All too often these simple things are completely overlooked or disregarded entirely.

I've worked in customer service for more than a decade and I can tell you that the more pleasant you are to work with, the more likely I am to go further to help you. If you act like you are better than me, I will not be inclined to bring you to my level.

I was pleasantly surprised at Wal-Mart today when I asked a lady where to find something. She addressed me directly, looked me in the eye and told me where I could find what I was looking for and that if I still couldn't find it she'd still be there and she could walk me to it. I wasn't expecting this because so often, encounters like this are not the way it normally goes.

In my personal life as well as my professional life, I try to be as courteous as possible. I always say "please" and "thank you." I hold doors for people when I can and always try to help people to the best of my abilities.

Rarely has common courtesy been unappreciated, but, sadly, it is no longer 'common' in today's society. So sad.

No comments: