Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Great vacation!

I had a week off from work and Dale and I went to Alabama for a get together with a bunch of people from a forum I hang out on. It was a great trip! It made all my crazy running around worthwhile.

On the way down, we stopped at the original KFC location. It incorporated a normal KFC and a mini-museum of the history of Colonel Sanders and the restaurant. It was really cool to see that it started as an addition to a motel.

When we finally got to our destination, we were exhausted and were glad to go to sleep. But since we were sleeping in a car, I kept waking up. Every time I woke up, I looked at the sky and remembered just how much I missed them. Now that I live in a metropolitan area, I rarely see stars any more. I miss them.

In the morning, we went to the Riverwalk in Columbus, Georgia. Last year it was flooded so we didn't get a chance to explore too much. This year, I took tons of pictures. We even went right up to a hydroelectric plant that is right there, and kinda checked that out. It looked really cool, but kinda run down at the same time.

That night, we took the Subaru down the drag strip. I had a blast! Between Dale and I that car went down the strip five times. But watching the MINI and all those big trucks going down the track was fun. We had barbecue there and everything. Doghouse sponsored the whole track even that night, so it was great.

The next day we chilled out and worked on trucks most of the day. Dale even helped one of the guys do ball joints on his truck. We had a date planned for that day, but with it raining off and on, and Dale and Jake preoccupied with working on vehicles the date kinda got canceled.

That afternoon, we had a 'dirty santa' raffle. It was a blast! The alcohol kept getting stolen and that got interesting. I ended up with a new roadside kit for DEX. It's compact, complete, and cute! It has the Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep logos on it. Dale ended up with a car wash kit.

We ended up leaving the following day so as to give us plenty of time to get home and relax. We wandered as far as Tennessee and got a hotel for the night. The next morning, we drove to my parents' house and spent the next night there. I have missed hanging out with my family, so it was nice to see them. The next morning, we drove home, unpacked the car, put most of that stuff away and hung out the rest of the night.

It was great to have time to hang out with all these people, but I realized that I missed hanging out with Dale. With our work schedules, we hardly see each other. I didn't realize that until this trip. I'm hoping to find a way to spend more time with him without us having to work on cars.

No comments: